When I post up a blog entry day before my first final, odds are, I'm probably not studying. It's true, I'm not.
Might as well post something helpful* if I'm not studying, right?
*maybe
Sleep. Something that most of us (or maybe just me) got very little of during dead week. Stumbled across some interesting sleep facts during my breaks from working during dead week.
-Sleeping more than necessary causes depression. Depression leads to more sleeping.
-Sleeping less than 6 hours leads to mental inefficiency, not exactly someone desired during finals.
-Alcohol has a rebound effect on sleep. Sure it helps you fall asleep faster, but your sleep will be disturbed later on in the night.
-Take naps if you don't get enough sleep at night, it helps.
-Lack of sleep weakens the immune system.
-Stress also weakens the immune system. Getting sick during finals bad bad.
So people, get lots of sleep during finals week.
Now on a happier note. I read a Time article on happiness. =) A few point kinda jumped out. So, since it is heavy stress week, and being happy lowers stress, why not?
Sex. Go figure.
Music makes the brain happy. Supposedly, listening to music you enjoy is the same as sex or food. I seem to be a in a better mood when I listen to music, so yeah, I guess it works.
Exercise. I love exercise cause I usually feel great afterward, sometimes tired, but usually pretty good. Metaphorically speaking, if your mind was the sky, exercise pushes everything out of sight making clear skies; similarly, alcohol is like a heavy fog that hides all your troubles.
Laughing lowers stress levels. Laughing is contagious, people are far more likely to laugh in groups. If you can't even do that, at least smile. A person feels the emotion that they're expressing. So if you try to simile, it'll make you happier, even if it's just a little bit.
Talk to people. Seriously. If you have a happy thought, tell others about it, it'll make you happier. If you have a unhappy thought, venting it out makes you feel better too.
Being kind supposedly makes you feel better, and at the same time, you're helping someone else feel better too. Article cites holding a door open for someone as an act of kindness. I usually hold doors open for people, they smile, which makes you smile back. :D
The glass is half full. Optimistic people are happier than pessimistic people. This one almost always comes up on happiness research, but it couldn't hurt to remind everyone.
and finally, just do it. If it needs to get done, get it done. Complaining is just a waste of time and energy. Pushing something farther and farther back isn't going to fix the problem.
If worse comes to worst, just get away form it, even if it's just for little bit, cause...
ignorance is bliss. =)
Good luck on finals everyone!